Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pie Crust Sunday

Before things went wrong... (c) ElleBelle
So this Sunday I decided to bake a pie. I got the idea from Homesick Texan's Blog. My mom was extremely sceptical of this saying it was hard to make meringue and pie crust, but being the idiot that I am, I did not listen. So my mom leaves and me and Sadie attempt to cook. The crust actually turned out ok. Yes there was flour all over the me, the dog, the ceiling, and the front porch (how it got there I do not know...) but it was all in one piece and that is good enough for me.

The recipe said to put the crust in the oven for 20 minutes. This is when things started to go wrong. While the crust was baking I tried to make the chocolate filling. You had to separate the egg, yolk and whites. That really did not turn out well. I had to borrow eggs from four different neighbors before I actually got the yolk and whites in separate bowls.

So I put that on the oven, and start the meringue. I don't know if I followed the recipe wrong, or if it left out something that was common sense and I should have put in but either way it was a DISASTER. By this point the crust was burnt, the meringue was not meringuey, and the filling was boiling over. So I dumped everything into the newly burnt crust and shoved it in the oven.


While taking the pie out I burned my finger horribly, I could not play the piano at all up until today, which is was a big set back from me because I am supposed to practice an hour a day and I couldn't. Not to mention the nasty pie that instantly found its burnt self in the garbage can. Note to self: NEVER COOK AGAIN.

I think next time I am either going to A) Buy a frozen pie at Kroger or B) Go visit Homesick Texan's grandmother so she can make it for me. Haha.

Peace out,


Elle
(PS, if you like to cook go check out Homesick Texan's blog. I've used a few recipies from there and they have all turned out amazing. I guess i'm just not gifted in the pie baking area...)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Mmmm, I could really go for some lemon meringue pie right now.... Don't worry, I'm a horrible cook myself. I would have failed Home Ec. class if the hardest thing we had to make wouldn't have been salad. I make some mean toast though (;

Ali said...

Oh man Elle, that sounds (no offense) like it sucked. It's ok though, I probably would've sucked at making a meringue too! Yeah, actually I'm 100% sure I would suck at making a meringue pie. I am however, pretty good at cooking mac&cheese, and other pasta recipes. Brownies however, are not my forte. I will definitely check out Homesick Texan's blog! :D

Darling. said...

Wow. Yeah I have no clue how to cook. So if I would have made the pie it would have tured out 10 times worse. I would probably have burned the whole house. Not just my finger. I'd be dead and not be commenting on your blog right now.